Summer Season (Pitta Season)
Your garden is bursting with local fruits and veggies. Refreshing foods that lighten the body and keep the system cool, such as cilantro, cucumber, melon, and zucchini will alleviate discomfort from the hot, sharp oily qualities of heat and humidity. Summer recipes capture the bitter taste of fresh greens to cool the blood, the astringency of seasonal fruits to tone the tissues, and mildly sweet foods such as fennel and coconut to balance fire (pitta) in the digestive tract.
SUMMER DIET AND LIFESTYLE OVERVIEW
The Elements: Fire and Water
Feels Like: Hot, Humid, Bright
Tastes to Enjoy: Bitter, Astringent, Sweet
Summer Foods Guide
Favor foods that are cooling, calming, and slightly dry.
FOODS TO FAVOR
- Bitter and astringent veggies, such as zucchini, broccoli, leafy greens, celery, green beans and fennel root.
- Sweet, not sour, dairy products such as milk and ghee.
- Sweet, neutral fruits, grapes, pomegranates, stone fruit, melons, and limes.
- Light neutral grains, such as quinoa, white basmati rice, and barley.
- Cool and light proteins, such as mung beans, tofu, lean white meats, and fish.
- Coconuts and coconut products (water, milk, meat, sugar)
- Cooling spices and herbs, such as fennel seed, coriander, cilantro, cardamom, mint, turmeric, and aloe juice.
FOODS TO REDUCE
- Spicy foods
- Vinegar and other ferments
- Salty foods
- Raw tomatoes
- Raw onion
- Red meat
- Sour dairy products
- Heating foods
- Overly fried foods
- Use coconut oil for abhyanga massage. Add relaxing scents like jasmine, lavendar, and rose essential oils. Self massage can be done in the morning or evening to help cool down.
- Practice moderation in choosing activities and avoid over scheduling yourself.
- Engage in noncompetitive exercise, like swimming, moderate yoga, and walking.
- Take cool baths and showers
- Stay out of midday sun, but do go out and enjoy time in nature. spend some time outside when the sun is lower and moon bathing instead of sunbathing.
- Drink room temperature water, not cold, and not ice water.