Food is Medicine – Herbs that cool for Pitta Season
- Tumeric – Healing is in this brightly colored spice. It helps reduce inflammation, strengthen the immune system, calm digestive problems, and heal the largest organ in the body, skin. Benefits also include, helping shield the body from allergens: pollen, poison ivy, oak, sunscreen chemicals and mold. Tumeric prevents the release of histamine, which reduces allergic reactions.
- Mint – Meals in summer can sometimes produce heartburn and indigestion. Mint leaves have medicinal properties that benefit the nervous, digestive, respiratory systems and skin. The herb relaxes stomach muscles, which improve digestion and can also treat irritable bowel syndrome.
- Fenugreek seeds – Is used for common skin disorders. Helps to cool the skin down and used externally to treat eczema, ulcers and inflammation of the skin.
- Fennel – Is cooling and moistening, which naturally cools the body in summer. It’s a carminative herb, helps with flatulence, and the soothing attributes of fennel may reduce anxiety and stress.
- Cumin – Values for its antibacterial, analgesic, antioxidant and anti-stress properties. It also helps to absorb more nutrients from food eaten. It is a nervine. Which is agents that affect the nerves. So, it helps support the nervous system.
- Cinnamon – Is an anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, heart friendly and has immune boosting qualities. It will also give a cooling effect in your body. Which may improve gut health and digestion.
- Cilantro – Has powrful health properties, helps clear up skin disorders, prevent heartburn, gas, bloating, food poisoning, and it stimulates digestion. Cilantro’s high antioxidant properties could prevent the body from oxidative damage of the sun.
- Cardamom – Boosts digestion, helps to reduce inflammation, oxidative stress, factors that increase body heat. It aids to digestion of dairy products also.
For more, join Enrica every Monday at 8:10 am.